No, that’s bland. According to official Volkswagen figures, the Taigo has only 2 centimeters less headroom in the rear than the T-Cross. And we have yet to experience what you notice in practice. But the introduction of the Volkswagen Taigo does surprise us. Volkswagen supplies six different SUV models in the Netherlands: the ID.4, Tiguan Allspace, Tiguan, T-Roc Cabrio, T-Roc and T-Cross. The new Taigo will be added this year and will compete directly with the small T-Cross. Both models are on the same MQB platform as the Polo.
Volkswagen Taigo must become a small seducer
Volkswagen thinks the Taigo will seduce buyers with its design. And we hope that we help the German manufacturer, because we actually see no other reason for existence for the mini-coupé-suv. In the class of the BMW X3 or X5 you can still say: oh well, I’ll settle for a little less space because I like the BMW X4 and X6 so much. But in the class of the Volkswagen T-Cross you don’t have an abundance of freedom of movement. As mentioned, the ceiling is 2 centimeters lower in the back of the Taigo. Its trunk is large enough for 438 liters of suitcases and bags. The T-Cross swallows 17 liters more.
Same engines as in the Volkswagen T-Cross
The engine range of the Volkswagen Taigo corresponds to that of the T-Cross. There is a 1.0 TSI (95 hp or 110 hp) and a 1.5 TSI (150 hp). The T-Cross has recently been discontinued in the Netherlands with the latter engine. Volkswagen gives the 95 hp version of the Taigo a five-speed manual transmission. If you opt for the 110 hp variant, you can choose between a six-speed gearbox or a DSG automatic transmission with seven gears.
Dashboard of the Taigo comes from the Volkswagen Polo
The Volkswagen Taigo is moreover more closely related to the Polo than to the T-Cross. It shares, among other things, its front doors, windscreen and dashboard with the popular hatchback. The Taigo is already sold in South America (it was also designed there), but under the name Nivus. The Taigo is 11 centimeters longer than the Polo (4.26 versus 4.05 meters). However, the difference is mainly in the overhangs front and rear. In terms of wheelbase, it is only 2 millimeters (both 2.56 meters and a bit).
Volkswagen Taigo prices
- 1.0 TSI 95 pk 5-bak Life – 28.590 euros
- 1.0 TSI 95 pk 5-bak Life Business – 29.890 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk 6-bak Life – 30.590 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk 6-bak Life Business – 31.890 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk 6 -bak Style – 33,990 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk 6-bak R-Line – 34.290 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk 6-bak R-Line Business + – 35.690 euros
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk DSG-7 Life – 32.590 euro
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk DSG-7 Life Business – 33.890 euro
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk DSG-7 Style – 35.990 euro
- 1.0 TSI 110 pk DSG-7 R-Line – 36.290 euro
- 1.0 TSI 110 pc DSG-7 R-Line Business + – 37,690 euros
- 1.5 TSI 150 pk DSG-7 Style – 38.840 euro
- 1.5 TSI 150 pk DSG-7 R-Line – 39.140 euro
- 1.5 TSI 150 pc DSG-7 R-Line Business + – 40,490 euros